1. After dropping what many consider to be a feminist album, Beyoncé has now written about gender equality for The Shriver Report.
2. And while we’re used to Bey’s answer to the question “who run the world?” being this:
3. This time around, she’s asking women to not “buy into the myth of gender equality,” declaring that it is “not a reality yet.”
“Today, women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but the average working woman earns only 77 percent of what the average working man makes. But unless women and men both say this is unacceptable, things will not change.”
4. Interestingly, Beyoncé called on men to help the cause for equality. She asked men to “demand that their wives, daughters, mothers, and sisters earn more.”
She added that we also need to “teach our boys the rules of equality and respect, so that as they grow up, gender equality becomes a natural way of life.”
5. Bey also said that “we have to teach our girls that they can reach as high as humanly possible.”
You can read Beyoncé’s full article over on The Shriver Report.
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The death penalty should still be considered for Colorado theater shooter James Holmes, a jury decided.