1. The Most Bizarre Moments Of The Olympic Opening Ceremony
The Olympics happened this year! Which means we got another bizarre Olympic opening ceremony. Relive the madness.
2. Queen Elizabeth’s 16 Most Excited Faces Of The Olympic Opening Ceremony
Queen Elizabeth was pumped for the Olympics. Like super pumped.
3. A Chinese Hurdler Falls Clutching His Achilles, Refuses To Quit
China’s Liu Xiang gave us what may have been the 2012 Olympics’ most powerful moment after he suffered a terrible injury.
4. South Korean Fencer Refuses To Leave The Floor After Getting Screwed
South Korea’s Shin A Lam became an inspiration to millions when she made a courageous stand after being screwed over by a judge.
5. The Most Inspiring Paralympic Photos
If you have a heart, this will get it going.
6. McKayla Maroney’s (Literally) Jaw-Dropping Vault
McKayla Maroney became a breakout star at the London Olympics thanks in part to her magnificent vault that helped lead the US Women to team gymnastics gold
7. McKayla Maroney Is Not Impressed
The other reason she became a breakout star was the memetastic stinkface she made when she didn’t win individual gold.
8. Why Do We Need A Bronze Medal?
Ben Mathis-Lilley explored a question that many have wondered: Why does third place matter?
9. The Goofiest Basketball Player On Twitter: JaVale McGee
JaVale McGee is the patron saint of BuzzFeed Sports. This is why.
10. The Goofiest Baseball Player On Twitter: Logan Morrison
If Logan Morrison were as good at baseball as he is at Twitter, he would be a perennial All-Star.
11. Twitter Theorizes Why Anthony Davis Has A Unibrow
No one knows what possessed Anthony Davis to grow his now-signature unibrow, but Twitter had some ideas.
12. A 7-Year-Old With Cancer Gets To Beat Up His Favorite Pro Wrestler
If this story doesn’t get you choked up then you should probably go to the doctor. Living without a pulse is bad for you.
13. High School Football Star Runs Out Of Bounds So Freshman Whose Dad Just Died Could Score
It was stories like this that made “Friday Night Lights a beloved television show. Only the story of Michael Ferns and Logan Thompson is better, because it actually happened.
14. An Autistic High School Football Kicker Leads His Team To A Dramatic Upset
Anthony Starego turned a disability into an assetand got to live his dream. How’s that for impressive?
15. 33 Reasons Why “The Mighty Ducks” Is The Greatest Movie Franchise Ever
We all intuitively know that The Mighty Ducks is the pinnacle of all film franchises, but it’s still nice to have the proof all laid out like this.
16. The Sandlot: Where Are They Now?
The kids from The Sandlot aren’t kids anymore (you know, what with time and everything). See where everybody ended up. It’s just like the last scene of the movie, but you know, real.
17. How To Take An Awesome Yearbook Photo: A Guide By Famous Athletes
There’s an art to taking the perfect yearbook photo. These famous athletes want to help. Let them.
18. If NBA Draft Evaluations Had Been Accurate
This post proved that scouting would be way more accurate if scouts had access to a time machine. Now I guess we just have to build one.
19. The 25 Faces Fans Make Right Before Getting Hit With A Foul Ball
Humanity is never in a purer form than right before a foul ball gets somebody.
20. 66 TV Shows That Had Better Ratings Than The Stanley Cup Finals
Remember hockey? It was a sport played on ice with sticks and a puck. No? Well its championship series didn’t do too great on TV.
21. German Man Tries To Cannonball Into Frozen Pool, Fails
This is the most important GIF of the year. Watch the video that birthed it.
22. The 21 Greatest Unrequited High Fives In Basketball History
Kevin Lincoln assembled the greatest collection of derp that the high five game has ever seen. Enjoy it.
23. We Need To Stop Wasting Usain Bolt
Jack Moore argued that sprinting should become a bigger thing. Why? Because Usain Bolt is the greatest athlete alive and we’re wasting his prime.
24. A Two-Man Oral History Of The “Princess Bride” Episode of “ESPN NFL Kickoff”
ESPN’s Trey Wingo and Mark Schlereth sat down with BuzzFeed Sports to talk about their love of The Princess Bride and how they let it take over an episode of their NFL news show.
25. How To Lose A Lot Of Money Winning At Online Poker
Michael Kaplan explained how poker fortunes are being sold online for pennies on the dollar in hopes that one day they might get paid out. Gambling begets gambling.
26. How The NFL Will Destroy RGIII And Andrew Luck’s Lives
Former Denver Bronco Nate Jackson wrote about how the NFL crushes your innocence.
27. The 15 Worst Types Of Sports Fans
We’re all these people. We all hate these people. Hating these people and being these people are what makes sports fun.
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who was accused of helping inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.
- Several people have been wounded after a shooting near Barcelona's famed La Rambla street, according to Spanish media.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.