The political director of South Carolina’s Senate Democratic Caucus labeled Nikki Haley the “Sikh Jesus” after she intervened to aid the Republican primary challenger of a Republican State Senator who called her a “raghead.”
Political Director Phil Bailey complained Wednesday night of the South Carolina Republican Party’s “unlawful ruling” to allow a Haley ally on the ballot against State Senator Jake Knotts, video of whose legendary 2010 rant was posted on BuzzFeed yesterday.
In two tweets, he referred to Haley — a convert to the Methodist faith whose parents were born in India — as the “Sikh Jesus.”
In Knotts’ rant, he warned heatedly of voters’ reaction on learning “that her daddy wears a turban around Lexington and her mommy has a ruby between her head and she is a Sheikh (sic) and trying to be a Methodist.”
In reaction to Bailey’s tweets, Haley spokesman Tim Pearson emailed, “Bigotry abounds.”
A South Carolina Democratic Party spokeswoman declined to comment on the jibe.
CORRECTION: Bailey is the political director of South Carolina Senate Democratic Caucus. An earlier version of this post identified Bailey as the executive director of the party.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- patheos.com readers just made South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... hotter
- soulzhard thinks South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... is Ew & Trashy
- sangfr0id South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... and thinks it’s Trashy & Fail
- Jacob P. thinks South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... is Trashy
- taylorl7 South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... and thinks it’s Trashy, Fail & WTF
- South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- TheTodd thinks South Carolina Democrat Labels Haley ... is Fail