1. This is a Peep chandelier.
Perfect for those who love the deeply expressive medium of Peeps but wouldn’t eat one if you paid them.
2. In order to make one, you’ll need:
- 2 or 3 large embroidery/quilting hoops; we used 20”, 14”, and 10” hoops.
- Thin jewelry wire
- A hot glue gun (preferably cordless, since this project can get real tangly real fast)
- A large yarn needle
- More Peeps than you’ve ever seen in your life (we used about 100 total and found that the bunnies, rather than the more traditional birds, seemed to stick to the balsa wood better)
3. Start by cutting 8 footlong pieces of twine.
You’ll only need 4 if you’re just using 2 hoops.
4. Double knot the twine around the larger hoop so that it hangs down.
This will be the top layer of the chandelier.
5. Tie the twine around the smaller hoop so that it points upward.
This will be the middle/bottom layer.
6. Repeat this step three more times.
Make sure each length of twine remains the same length and that they’re equally distributed around the hoops, so that they’ll be balanced.
7. Use the remaining 4 pieces of twine to attach the smallest hoop.
You could stop here if all you wanted was a rustic, minimalist work of art to proudly display in your Belgian farmhouse.
8. Now for the Peeps!
Hot glue them all around the perimeter of the hoops.
9. Cut the wire into 6 to 8 8” pieces.
And using the needle, thread the Peeps into 5-Peep-long strands.
Play around with your threading technique; we found that threading them all vertically made them slightly uneven, so in later versions of the project we experimented with threading them diagonally (which felt a little more murderous, for some reason, but what can you do). Secure each end by wrapping the wire around a pom-pom, or whatever accent you’d like to adorn your chandelier with.
11. Using the free end of the wire, tie each Peep strand to the bottom layer of the chandelier structure.
12. Cut two 3’-long pieces of twine, tie each end to one of the preexisting knots on the top layer, run the lightbulb down the middle and voila!
We painted our accent Peeps gold for that certain je ne sais quoi. This project was made to be customized.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›