1. I think we’re all a little excited to see ‘Man Of Steel’, the new Superman movie coming out this week. I mean, it looks so epic!
6. And let’s not forget that we can only go up from the last Superman movie.
8. To understand my apprehension, let’s take a look at another succesful superhero movie, ‘The Avengers’.
9. Marvel wanted to create not one series of films, but a whole collection of them that entertwine, creating the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). They had to start somewhere, and it had to justify the spending of billions of dollars to do it.
10. ‘Iron Man’ was a critical and box office success, paving the way for what would eventually become ‘The Avengers’, and the contemporary MCU. ‘The Avengers’ grossed 1.5 billion globally - the highest for any superhero movie.
12. Rumors swirled after the huge success of ‘The Avengers’ that Warner Bros. might be looking to get a piece of the action with one of their properties.
14. The only problem was that some of these properties were already being tried as movies or television shows and failed epically.
David E. Kelley wrote a Wonder Woman pilot starring Adrianne Palicki in 2011.
16. The Dark Knight series was a huge success for Warner Bros, however Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale were vocal about creating a standalone trilogy.
18. What Warner Bros. needed was an ‘Iron Man’ - a tentpole film that would introduce the DC universe and give way to a team-up of the Justice League. Hence why we have ‘Man Of Steel’
19. Now here’s my concern - ‘Man Of Steel’, with its cool trailers and intense marketing campaign, will be a mediocre film.
20. Let’s take a look at the Rotten Tomatoes reviews for the three Iron Man films.
21. And now for ‘Man Of Steel’ …
UPDATE: As of June 14, ‘Man of Steel’ is at 59% on Rotten Tomatoes.