1. Do: Build a bonfire to stay warm and roast marshmallows once the sun sets.
Aldo Quintino / Via instagram.com
2. Don’t: Bring the dogs without checking the beach’s rules first.
Prelon Katschman / Via instagram.com
3. Do: Pack plenty of beach blankets and a few extra Straw-Ber-Ritas, you never know who might tag along.
alisonbudzynski / Via instagram.com
4. Don’t: Bring your nice sunglasses with you, you know there’s a cemetery for those in the middle of the ocean somewhere.
Chris J. / Via Flickr: chrisjones
5. Do: Bring food in resealable containers so it doesn’t get super sandy in between snack sessions.
Rhiannon Lee Shine / Via instagram.com
6. Don’t: Wear your skimpiest bikini. When you hit the waves, you’ll be asking for trouble.
paigeallyse / Via instagram.com
7. Do: Bring koozies for your drink. You wont get your drink mixed up with your friend’s, and they float on water! Win/win.
Jalys Mabry / Via instagram.com
8. Don’t: Blast your summer playlist so loud no one around you can hear themselves think. Please?
Emilio Labrador / Via Flickr: 3059349393
9. Do: Bring a shovel to build a moat to keep wind at bay, or just have fun building an epic sand castle.
Mike Baird / Via Flickr: mikebaird
10. Don’t: Forget a first aid kit. You never know when someone might step on a sharp rock or other unwanted object.
stef_lott / Via instagram.com
11. Do: Bring a parasol to keep yourself and your guests shielded from the sun.
nekkar / Via instagram.com
12. Don’t: Bring your hula hoop/juggling balls/tight rope to show off with. No one likes a show off.
Hannah / Via instagram.com
13. Do: Bring a gallon of water to rinse your sandy feet before getting back in your car/the subway.
julia stypayhorlikson / Via instagram.com