1. In June of 1965, Princess Grace Kelly gave a wonderful interview to American novelist Paul Gallico, as part of an oral-history project spearheaded by the Kennedy Library.
2. In the interview, Kelly recalled how Kennedy helped connect her for, the first time, “spiritually, and sympathetically, with the presidency.”
3. How his youth reflected the promise and optimism of the United States…
4. …and finding a deeper meaning in his tragic death.
“Well, it might not seem so today, but I, for one, cannot believe that a man of Mr. Kennedy’s stature and achievements was put upon this earth for no other purpose than to stop an assassin’s bullet. I believe that God allows these certain tragedies to happen in order to emphasize the man and his achievements and to inspire those who follow to have the strength and the will to accomplish his unfulfilled dreams.”
7. The interview and animated video is part of the PBS Digital Studios wonderful ongoing series Blank on Blank:
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.