1. Howard “Yeah!” Dean entered the new year as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.
His media gaffe — known as the “Dean Scream” — at the Iowa caucus in late January derailed his presidential campaign.
2. “Shy girl” Beyoncé slowly began conquering the world. And also, somehow, people still liked Jay Leno.
3. President Bush declared war on gay marriage. While Andre 3000 declared war on WASP fashion.
4. After surviving Bennifer, Ben Affleck, apparently, joined a biker gang.
5. We found out about Quentin Tarantino’s obsession with Uma Thurman. SPOILER ALERT: It’s her feet.
8. Lindsay Lohan and the secret Abu Ghraib files both made the annual “Hot Issue.” But which was hotter?!
9. Tom Cruise was searching for the perfect woman.
Oh, Tom, will you ever find true love?
11. Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry couldn’t even muster a smize for his cover.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- In a Vanity Fair interview, Rihanna said Rachel Dolezal, who identifies as black even as her parents insist she was born white, "was a bit of a hero." ›