1. He got beat up so much in elementary school that he had to be homeschooled for a year:
“I got my share of beatings in elementary school. My mom had to pull me out to teach me at home for a year. When I went back, I was more confident. I still got beat up, but I had my pride. It teaches you what some people are like. Now, even on a bad day, at least I know I’m not getting beat up.”
3. He was a scrawny 6-year-old that used to run around in a red Speedo:
“When I was 6, a scrawny, scrawny kid, I’d get in my red Speedo and do muscle moves. I actually thought I was muscular. I didn’t know everyone was laughing at me.”
4. His favorite actors are Gary Oldman and Natalie Wood.
5. He’s an insecure guy, who did not do well with the ladies:
“Hercules [the role he played on the TV show Young Hercules] is part god and I’m not. He’s a hero and I’m not. Yet we both have the same insecurities: We’re not that great with girls! When I first heard about the audition, I told my friends and they said, ‘No offense, but look at you!’ When you look at me you don’t think ‘god.’”
6. He would date a fan!:
“I’d date a fan if she was the right girl-easy to be around, comfortable with who she is, someone who likes jazz. The thrill of dating somebody is finding out who she is. If I knew what I was looking for, it wouldn’t be as exciting.”
7. So if you were on a date, he would probably order calamari, that’s his favorite food.
8. A date with Ryan might include cuddling on the couch watching East of Eden, that’s his favorite movie.
9. And if it came down to sexy time, he would probably put on a Chet Baker album, it’s his favorite jazz musician.
10. At 18, he had deep philosophical wisdom:
“I’ve learned it’s important not to limit yourself. You can do whatever you really love to do, no matter what that is.”