These are the songs that turn you into a “proud ‘strayan” at the drop of a hat when you’re abroad.
Usually, you don’t really care. But when they come on somewhere else…
1. Men At Work - “Down Under”
Why it makes you proud: Because even though it’s reaaaaallly cheezy it still touches home with mentions of Vegemite and Aussie life.
Aussie Pride Rating: 6.9/10
2. Ganggajang - “Sounds of Then”
Why it makes you proud: C’mon! Deep down you know you love this track. It might be insufferable mostly, but when you’re abroad it’s the best.
Aussie Pride Rating: 7.1
3. Daddy Cool - “Eagle Rock”
Why it makes you proud: Because it reminds you of all the great fun, easy and relaxed pubs in Australia. Also gets your hips swayin’.
Aussie Pride Rating: 8.9/10
4. The Easybeats - “Friday On My Mind”
Why it makes you proud: It’s hard to hear this song and not think of all the sun-drenched beach days we enjoy so often. Helps that it’s a catchy tune.
Aussie Pride Rating: 9/10
5. Redgum - “I Was Only 19”
Why it makes you proud: It makes you think about the thousands that have fought to protect our country - whether you agree with the cause or not.
Aussie Pride Rating: 9/10
6. Jet - “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?”
Why it makes you proud: Gets you dancing, get’s you singing and get’s you screaming about how much you love Australia and everything that’s ever come out of it.
Aussie Pride Rating: 7.0/10
7. John Farnham - “You’re The Voice”
Why it makes you proud: Come on, you knew this would be here. Even though you never went to a single one of his 35 “final tours,” everyone loves a bit of Whispering Jack.
Aussie Pride Rating: 9.0
8. AC/DC - “It’s A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock N’ Roll”
Why it makes you proud: Because you’ve sung along (more than once) and changed the lyrics to “It’s a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll” or something similar.
Aussie Pride Rating: 8.1/10
9. Icehouse - “Great Southern Land”
Why it makes you proud: I had to learn this song in primary school music class, so maybe it’s just a personal thing, but this song makes me think about Australia’s natural beauty and is sure to be belted out whilst you’re on that Contiki tour.
Aussie Pride Rating: 7.5/10
10. INXS, “Never Tear Us Apart”
Why it makes you proud: As soon as you hear those violins (synth) you’re ready to belt out the lyrics. This is a sad song, but it’s one that all Australians resonate with, only made sadder with the death of Hutchence.
Aussie Pride Rating: 9.5/10
Check out the play list here:
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›