1. In 2014 Major League Baseball will launch instant replay review and managers will be able to challenge umpires’ calls. Tonight’s Cardinals-Dodgers National League Championship Series game hinged on exactly the kind of call the system is designed for.
2. With one out in the top of the 10th inning in St. Louis, Carlos Beltran’s throw beat a tagging Mark Ellis home by several feet. But did catcher Yadier Molina ever actually tag Ellis?
3. It really doesn’t look like it.
4. Not from this angle either.
6. Nope. The Cardinals were held scoreless in the bottom half of the inning, so if Ellis had been ruled safe, the game would have been over. But home plate ump Gerry Davis’ out call stood, and the Cards went on to win in the bottom of the 13th.
That’s hero-of-the-playoffs-so-far Carlos Beltran driving in Daniel Descalso. FYI: The game started at 8:37 p.m. EST and finished somewhere around 1:30 a.m. for a brisk 290 minute running time.