1. Jeremy Abbott is a four-time U.S. figure skating champion whose best Olympic or world championship finish is fifth; today, his short program in Sochi started off terribly with a serious-looking fall.
2. For a long moment, it looked like Abbott wasn’t going to get up.
3. But he did.
4. And, with the crowd hollering, nailed the rest of his routine.
5. There were spins. There were jumps.
6. There was serious showing-off for the judges.
7. Did he know he’d pulled it off? OH YEAH.
8. Not bad. Abbott’s currently sitting in fifth place, though there are some very good skaters yet to perform.
In The News Today
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›