1. 1987 - Ronald Reagan asks Gorbachev to “tear down this wall”
2. 1988 - The PEPCON explosion
3. 1989 - The Berlin Wall comes down
4. 1990 - The Gulf War begins
5. 1991 - The Super Nintendo is released
6. 1992 - Sinead O’Connor rips a picture of the Pope on “Saturday Night Live”
7. 1993 - The first Intel Pentium Processor is sold
8. 1994 - OJ Simpson runs from the cops
9. 1995 - “Toy Story,” the first film made entirely using computer animation, is released
10. 1996 - Tupac dies in a still-unsolved homicide
11. 1997 - Steve Jobs returns to a struggling Apple at that year’s Macworld conference
12. 1998 - The Monica Lewinsky scandal
13. 1999 - Lance Armstrong wins his first Tour De France
14. 2000 - George W. Bush is elected President following a contentious recount battle in Florida
15. 2001 - The US invades Afghanistan following the September 11 terrorist attacks
16. 2002 - The first detainees start arriving at Guantanamo Bay
17. 2003 - The space shuttle Columbia disintegrates upon re-entry
18. 2004 - The Olympics return to Athens, Greece
19. 2005 - Hurricane Katrina devastates New Orleans
20. 2006 - Google buys YouTube for $1.65 billion
21. 2007 - The first iPhone is released
22. 2008 - Barack Obama is elected President
23. 2009 - Michael Jackson dies
24. 2010 - An explosion at the Deepwater Horizon oil rig causes a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico
25. 2011 - Barack Obama announces the death of Osama Bin Laden
26. 2012 - Mitt Romney and Barack Obama square off in the presidential race
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.