While D.C. was, almost exclusively, obsessing over the political ramifications of our government shutdown…
…people elsewhere had other problems to chase.
2. Iran and Israel exchanged tough new words on nuclear weapons and force.
3. Cyclone Phailin hit eastern India…
India / Reuters
5. Hundreds of activists for various causes were jailed in Russia.
Handout / Reuters
8. This girl did not win the Peace Prize, but stole our hearts anyway.
9. Glenn Greenwald will start creeping on spooks from Rio now.
Via Sergio Moraes / Reuters
10. Oktoberfest happend.
Michaela Rehle / Reuters
11. These guys had their marriage somehow not work out.
13. And all of Boston gave zero fucks about your damn shutdown.
In The News Today
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›