While D.C. was, almost exclusively, obsessing over the political ramifications of our government shutdown…
…people elsewhere had other problems to chase.
2. Iran and Israel exchanged tough new words on nuclear weapons and force.
3. Cyclone Phailin hit eastern India…
India / Reuters
5. Hundreds of activists for various causes were jailed in Russia.
Handout / Reuters
8. This girl did not win the Peace Prize, but stole our hearts anyway.
9. Glenn Greenwald will start creeping on spooks from Rio now.
Via Sergio Moraes / Reuters
10. Oktoberfest happend.
Michaela Rehle / Reuters
11. These guys had their marriage somehow not work out.
13. And all of Boston gave zero fucks about your damn shutdown.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.