1. This is Peter Mayhew. He played Chewbacca in all three original Star Wars movies.
2. Mayhew was chosen for the role in part because he is 7 feet tall.
3. Mayhew is a fan favorite at comic conventions and travels often.
4. Walking long distances is difficult for Mayhew and he uses a cane or a wheelchair to get around most places.
5. The kickass part is, Mayhew’s cane is a lightsaber!
7. Now, all this traveling is difficult enough for Mayhew as it is…
8. But flying from Denver to Dallas on June 3 Mayhew was stopped by the TSA and asked to surrender his iconic cane.
9. Mayhew took to twitter to fight for his cane.
Giant man need giant cane.. small cane snap like toothpick…. besides.. my light saber cane is just cool.. I would miss it..
10. And he posted pics of TSA agents mulling whether to allow it on the plane. “Won’t allow me through the airport with me cane! Can I get a retweet?”
11. Twitter responded widely in Mayhew’s favor.
LET THE WOOKIEE ON THE PLANE! Chewbacca Actor’s Lightsaber Cane Causes TSA Trouble http://t.co/ZHlT9P9sDX #StarWars cc: @TheWookieeRoars
Peter Mayhew @TheWookieeRoars was stopped by TSA cause he had a lightsaber. I guess it is a weapon after all, which means Star Wars is real
13. TSA eventually released the cane and this statement: “Because of the unusual weight of the passenger’s cane, a security officer alerted a supervisor.”
14. But Mayhew thinks it was the outrage on Twitter that got him his Jedi weapon back.
Magic words to TSA are not “please” or “thank you”.. It’s “Twitter”.. cane released to go home..
15. And Mayhew classily thanked American Airlines and continued to troll TSA:
In Dallas. Thank you to @AmericanAir for checking on me. Problem was all @TSA. I’m a million-miler on American and they are a class act.
16. And TSA learned a valuable lesson.
@TheWookieeRoars @TSA Just learned Star Wars lesson #1: “Let the Wookie Win”.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.
- An order from the U.S. Supreme Court means Texas abortion clinics affected by a new state law can stay open while the law is challenged.
- Transgender women can be housed in women's immigrant detention facilities under new guidelines issued today.