1. The US Congress was a different place 50 years ago
2. Democrats had Super Majorities in both Houses
3. And this family controlled the Executive Branch
This gentleman was Speaker of the House
5. House Leadership looked like this
6. And a Presidential address looked like this
This gent was gearing up for his first congressional run
and this scout was meeting his future office
But the difference in the demographic make-up of Congress over the last 50 years is what truly astounds
In 1963 less than 6% of Congress held minority status
Today, minorities make up almost 30% of congress
So here’s to the future!
Oh, and meet freshman Congressman Joseph P. Kennedy III
Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!