1. Our state mammal is the bison — basically the original badass American creature.
2. We have our priorities straight when it comes to cattle transport vs. pristine car interiors.
3. All the Sonic, all the time.
The national restaurant chain was founded in Shawnee, Oklahoma.
5. …the fried chicken and beer at Eischen’s…
6. …the burger at Johnnie’s Charcoal Broiler (and the way families gather there after Little League games).
8. Oklahoma has about 400 miles of Route 66.
That’s more miles of original routing left than any other Route 66 state.
9. The Old Round Barn in Arcardia on Route 66.
That thing is awesome.
10. Also along Route 66: The Catoosa Blue Whale waterslide!
11. Oklahoma is home to the world’s second largest McDonald’s.
Right over the Will Rogers turnpike.
12. The five-story Chihuly sculpture at the Oklahoma Museum of Art.
Really, the whole Chihuly exhibit.
13. Watching the Paseo Arts District turn into a vibrant gallery hub.
14. The view from the top of The Wildcat roller coaster at Frontier City — all sky.
OKC’s hilarious Wild West-themed amusement.
18. And this catfish, allegedly pulled out of Lake Texoma.
19. Does your capital city have a gigantic milk bottle?
22. Brad Pitt is from Shawnee, Oklahoma.
23. And Garth Brooks is from Yukon.
24. Olivia Munn is from Oklahoma City.
25. And the Flaming Lips are too.
26. Chuck Norris was born in Ryan, Oklahoma.
27. And Miss Oklahoma was first runner-up at the Miss USA Pageant.
28. Cimarron County in Oklahoma’s panhandle is the only county in the United States that touches four other states: New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, and Kansas!
29. Oklahoma has more ecological regions per square mile than any other state — including BIG green mountains.
Big sky prairies.
30. Does your state have its own colorful lizard? I think NOT!
32. Oh, and this one.
33. It took the Oklahoma City Thunder club only three years to make it to the NBA Championships after relocating from Seattle to Oklahoma.
They were the second youngest NBA Finals team in NBA history.
34. Between 2006 to 2010, Oklahoma’s gross domestic product grew by 10.6% — even in the midst of a recession.
35. Oklahoma’s unemployment rate is 4.9% — the national average is 7.5%.
36. Oklahoma has the most wins and best winning percentage in college football over the last 75 years.
37. ESPN ranked Oklahoma the most prestigious college football program in modern college football.
38. The Oklahoma State Cowboys have made bowl games in five of the last six years and ended the season No. 1 in the nation in 2011.
They also hold nine conference championships, one Heisman Trophy winner, two NFL Hall of Fame members, and 32 All-Americans to the Cowboys’ name.
39. Oklahoma is home to more Native American tribal headquarters than any other state.
There are 39 tribes and nations of Native Americans.
40. There are 25 Native American languages spoken in Oklahoma, second only to California.
41. We’re also home to the amazing Red Earth Native American Festival.
When, every June, more than 1,500 Native American dancers and artists gather in the streets of downtown Oklahoma City.
42. The Philbrook Museum in Tulsa is one of the top 50 fine art museums in the United States.
43. And was your state the inspiration for one of the greatest musicals of all time?
And Hugh Jackman says, “OOOOOOOKLAHOMA!”
44. But most importantly, no matter what happens…
Even the little guys.
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)