1. In 1996, the Macarena was the #1 song in the country.
2. And delegates loved dancing it at the DNC convention in Chicago in 1996.
3. They would play the song before the program and delegates would pop out of their chairs.
12. It was just a better time for everyone in the world, in general.
13. Their dancing was so good, Al Gore opened his convention speech like:
15. And he just stood there for an awkwardly long amount of time.
This was mocking his own reputation for stiffness.
18. Oh, 1996.
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›