1. In 1996, the Macarena was the #1 song in the country.
2. And delegates loved dancing it at the DNC convention in Chicago in 1996.
3. They would play the song before the program and delegates would pop out of their chairs.
12. It was just a better time for everyone in the world, in general.
13. Their dancing was so good, Al Gore opened his convention speech like:
15. And he just stood there for an awkwardly long amount of time.
This was mocking his own reputation for stiffness.
18. Oh, 1996.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.