Senator Tom Coburn announced Thursday that he would retire at the end of this year.
He has been battling cancer and will be leaving his term two years early. Here are some solid reasons why everyone in Washington should miss him.
2. Every year he would come out with his ‘Wastebook’, detailing the most asinine levels of government spending.
3. He would use your bill as an umbrella if he disagreed with it.
Oh, you thought that was just for Fox News?
Take that senate floor.
7. He has the greatest Facebook posts, including this one about a drunk communist panda.
And this one captioned: “Congress should stop monkeying around with math.”
8. He was willing to take on powerful members of his own party.
Including attacking wasteful spending in the U.S. military.
Not popular with many rank and file Republicans.
9. And he was respected across the aisle.
So here’s to you, Tom Coburn.
- The U.S., Japan, and 10 other Pacific Rim nations have agreed to a historic trade deal encompassing 40% of the world's economy. ›
- Three scientists who developed treatments against parasites have won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. ›
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›