Perhaps you are aware that the National Spelling Bee was last week…
To feel a little dumber, we sat in the front row of the Championship round of the spelling bee, where the top twelve spellers duke it out for the trophy. Here is what we learned:
1. The ballroom is really big where they host the bee.
And you will never again in your life be in a room full of smarter families…
And they do so with an incredible amount of pressure on them
These kids, some no older than 10, have to spell under the glare of a live television audience and a cadre of snapping photogs.
3. The kids have to follow the direction of a floor producer….
…and know that every move they make is in danger of getting internet treatment.
6. The kids also must stare down their families in the front row.
8. The families (not on camera) writhe with nervousness as the words are spelled.
When a word is being spelled the entire auditorium is deadly silent.
And it can be excruciating when a word is spelled wrong.
Defeat is tough…
9. Kids who misspell a word leave the stage and go sit with their parents…
…and remark “I know this one…” as the next speller receives their word.
And silently spell the preceding words while rolling their eyes.
12. During the commercial breaks, ESPN does not miss the opportunity to advertise the NBA Eastern Conference finals to the spelling crowd.
Other bored kids play video games set up in the lobby…
… when they are done at the dictionary table.
14. As the night drags some of the kids onstage get restless and take a selfie ….
15. When the final words are being spelled, this lurker moves in with a cannon.
16. And as their families rushed the stage some members could care less about the spelling…
17. Being the spelling champ is like being the king or queen of young geek world. You have adoring fans…
…who wait in a line dozens long for your autograph.
To all the young geniuses who competed this year, we salute you!
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."