1. Moravian stars are as much a symbol of the holiday as they are of the city itself.
2. The city has two outdoor Christmas markets — Christkindlmarkt and Christmas City Village.
3. More than 800 Christmas trees decorate street corners, light poles and plazas throughout Bethlehem.
4. Moravian Book Shop is the oldest, continuously operating book store in the world.
5. The first decorated Christmas tree in the United States was located in Bethlehem. Early settlers attached evergreen branches to a wooden pyramid in 1747.
6. Bethlehem Steel provided steel for the Golden Gate Bridge, Madison Square Garden and the Chrysler Building.
7. Bethlehem was founded by Moravian settlers on Christmas Eve 1741.
8. More than 35,000 Christmas lights are used to decorate the Historic Hotel Bethlehem. Other decorations include wreaths, toy soldiers, nutcrackers, a nativity and a gingerbread model of the hotel.
9. Doors and windows of downtown shops and restaurants are decorated to match a Christmas theme.
10. Touchstone Theatre, a local professional theatre company, producers original characters and sketches for its annual “Christmas City Follies” each year.
11. The innovative steel I-beam which allowed for vertical construction of skyscrapers and bridges was first produced at Bethlehem Steel.
Here Are The Top Stories
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.