1. The Zodiac Killer
This guy really liked killing people. He was active in Northern California for about 10 months toward the end of the ’60s. The Zodiac killed at least 5 people, but what made him really creepy were the coded letters he sent to local Bay Area press. He sent a total of 4 cryptograms, however, only one has been solved:
“I LIKE KILLING PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS SO MUCH FUN IT IS MORE FUN THAN KILLING WILD GAME IN THE FORREST BECAUSE MAN IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL OF ALL TO KILL SOMETHING GIVES ME THE MOST THRILLING EXPERENCE IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN GETTING YOUR ROCKS OFF WITH A GIRL THE BEST PART OF IT IS THAE WHEN I DIE I WILL BE REBORN IN PARADICE AND THEI HAVE KILLED WILL BECOME MY SLAVES I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY NAME BECAUSE YOU WILL TRY TO SLOI DOWN OR ATOP MY COLLECTION OF SLAVES FOR MY AFTERLIFE EBEORIETEMETHHPITI”
2. The Gardner Museum Art Heist
In 1990, two guys dressed as Boston cops pulled off the biggest art heist in history. After conning their way into The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the two men gathered and tied up all on duty guards before stealing pieces by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Degas, and Manet. All in all, the two thieves walked away with what has now been valued at over $500 million in paintings, sculptures, and artifacts. Empty frames remain in place at museum where the pieces once hung. A $5 million reward for information leading to the recovery of the stolen artwork remains open.
3. The Tylenol Killer
This is perhaps the most influential mystery on the list. In the early fall of 1982, seven Chicago-area people died from taking Tylenol that had been laced with cyanide. Following the deaths, Tylenol was pulled from shelves and police took to the streets blaring warnings from loudspeakers about the deadly drug. Within six months, federal anti-tampering were put into place to prevent any similar tragedies. No arrests for the murders have been made.
4. Jack the Ripper
The Whitechapel district of London in 1888 was a hard place. Jack the Ripper roamed the streets, and got away with several murders, typically going after prostitutes. His name came from a letter supposedly written by the serial killer, however, some believe the letter was actually written by a journalist to draw more interest to the story.
5. JonBenet Ramsey
Step aside, Honey Boo Boo. Who can forget this 1996 murder mystery centered around a 6-year-old beauty pageant winner and her pristine family? A ransom note demanding $118,000 was discovered only 8 hours before the little girl’s body in her Boulder, CO home. The three people known to be present in the home at the time of the murder, JonBenet’s 9-year-old brother and their two parents, have all been dismissed as suspects in the case. The couple published a book titled “The Death of Innocence” in 2000 while they were still suspects. JonBenet’s mother passed away in 2006 of ovarian cancer. Her father continues to track down his daughter’s unexplained third party killer.
6. The Lead Masks Case
This one gets really weird. The year is 1966 and a little boy is flying a kite in Brazil. What does that little boy find? Two dead bodies. The uninjured bodies, both wearing sharp suits, were identified as two local electronic technicians. The only clues to their deaths were an empty water bottle nearby, radiation protective lead masks that both men were wearing, and a small notebook that read: “16:30 be at the agreed place. 18:30 swallow capsules, after effect protect metals wait for the mask sign.” So obviously the capsules killed the men, but detectives were unable to determine what the capsules were and why the men took them.
7. Harry Winston Heist
Dudes in drag stealing diamonds. This has got to be a movie somewhere. In 2008, a group of four guys dressed as women charged into an exclusive Parisian jewelry store armed with a .357 Magnum and a hand grenade. A classic smash and grab job. The four men, since nicknamed “The Pink Panthers,” made off with $108 million in precious diamonds. A $1 million dollar reward remains intact for information leading to an arrest.
8. The Somerton Man
We look to the Aussies for this totally wild murder mystery tale. A man is found dead on the beach in 1948. What’s so weird about that? Well, to start, the man was completely healthy, there were no signs of trauma, and no traces of poison. So how did he die? NOBODY HAS ANY CLUE. To make things more interesting, all of the identification tags on the man’s clothes had been removed and there was a strange note inside a secret pocket in his pants that read “Tamam Shud,” which means “ended.” Police later discovered that the note had been ripped out of a rare collection of poems called “The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam” that was found in a car nearby the scene. And then it gets even stranger. Inside the book there was a small coded message that to this day remains unsolved.
9. The Black Dahlia
Elizabeth Short’s 22-year-old body was discovered in LA on January 15, 1947 cut in half and drained of blood. The corners of Short’s mouth had also been sliced 3 inches on either side in a creepy clown-like smile. The strangest part about this case, however, was not the murder, but the investigation. Police worked side-by-side with the press to release information and clues about the case to the public instantaneously. Word spread quickly of the gruesome details from the young actresses murder throughout the show biz capital. Newspapers named the case “The Black Dahlia” because of her dark wardrobe and adventurous lifestyle. No arrests have been made in the case despite the several movies, television specials, and books that have been made about it.
Inspired by Ripper Street
Now that you’ve read about some bizarre unsolved crimes, you’re ready to watch BBC America’s new crime drama, Ripper Street, premiering Saturday, January 19 at 9/8c. Set in 1889’s London, Ripper Street follows the aftermath of the infamous Jack the Ripper murders.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- brandibutler40 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is Unbelievable
- sargie333 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- Adrienne S 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- solovaley thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- michelley4 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is
- Ktco 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- heidie4 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s OMG
- jjessohh 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s OMG
- berenice thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- FlouiseA27 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- carriontatiana thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- Rachael P. 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s OMG & Win
- davisalayna thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- andreawalrus thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- amphere99 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- CandaceCocoa thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- Deanna Alfred thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF
- shaunpm 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- erikab12 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is Win
some one in that family killed jonbenet. some one in their house, on christmas day for 12 hours, and no evidence? the one day that the alarm just happened to be off? the one day the family dog just happened to be at another house? the dad went straight to her body when the police came, after supposedly searching the house from top to bottom. their words. the ransom note was the exact amount of dad’s bonus, which he just got. lied about the son being asleep to the cops. credit card receipts has mom at a hard ware store buying the same kind of duct tape and twine/rope that she was tied up in. the heart painted on her palm, which was something that mom used to do with her. on the phone, getting the plane ready before they even knew what happened to her? if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,and looks like a duck, it is a duck. also, the police REALLY screwed up by allowing them to testify under oath together. police are never supposed to allow that so two people can not play off one another and verify each others testimony.
If the police say it definitely wasn’t them, then it wasn’t them. Why would they be like “Sorry, we were wrong and wasted time on the wrong suspects for years” if it wasn’t true? It makes them look like bumbling idiots, which they are. A number of people could have known the dog was missing. And why did the dog have to be gone for the parents to kill her? Someone he worked with could have known his bonus, known his dog was gone, etc.
- laladipsy thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is Fail
- ezgio thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- melaniez2 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF
The Black Dahlia Killer and The Zodiac Killer are part of the many crimes committed by Dr. George Hill Hodel. He was on the suspect list of the Black Dahlia Killer and took a cushy government job in China. His life, without being a serial killer, is incredibly hard to believe. Just look at the house he lived in and read about all he accomplished in his life. What we know as fact looks like fiction. Just remember that he was richer, smarter, and better connected socially than Albert Einstein. It doesn’t take an Einstein to figure it out!
- pj 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- nicollettemm thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- davidjamesm 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- emcronopias thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF
- Phillees thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF & OMG
- Allison McMullen 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- victorfiaux thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is Shameless
- uhbeibi thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is , WTF & OMG
- afissy thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- aeep thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- stormish 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s cool story bra
- jennyj5 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF
- Speaksleazy 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- elphonine thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- jaclynp 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- danebjo 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s OMG
- TrisiBB thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is OMG
- briannaocs 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes
- criso321 thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF
- elizabethlc 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes and thinks it’s Win
- nicolefloresl thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is WTF & cool story bra
My understanding of Jonbenet’s day before her death, they were at a pageant at a mall. I feel someone was watching her and followed them home. I truly don’t believe her family had anything to do with her death. I think it was a stalker, child molester and deranged person. If they could find video’s of the pageant and the people watching it, they may be able to find a person of interest there.
- ALGEBRAIC! thinks 9 Totally Bizarre Unsolved Crimes is Trashy & Shameless