3. T.S. Eliot, “The Waste Land”
Eliot took the line “Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song” from Edmund Spenser’s Prothalamion. And yes, that is the Thames.
14. Lewis Carroll, “Alice in Wonderland”
This is based on John Tenniel’s famous illustration of Alice finding the door to Wonderland.
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›