3. T.S. Eliot, “The Waste Land”
Eliot took the line “Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song” from Edmund Spenser’s Prothalamion. And yes, that is the Thames.
14. Lewis Carroll, “Alice in Wonderland”
This is based on John Tenniel’s famous illustration of Alice finding the door to Wonderland.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- Reddit's CEO apologized for the site's "long history of mistakes."