1. Kitty Cash is a badass Brooklyn-bred DJ.
She’s been a powerful wingwoman for singer Kilo Kish, but she’s also been making a name for herself as a curator of eclectic R&B. Last year she solicited a bunch of cool original tracks for her own compilation mixtape, Love the Free. This summer she plans to release another R&B comp, plus a new hip-hop compilation.
4. In the mix, Cash blends Maya Angelou’s poem “Phenomenal Woman” with a remix of Lauryn Hill’s song “Doo-Wop (That Thing).”
Cash looked up to Angelou as someone who “was confident, strong, sexual, and of course, phenomenal,” and Hill for challenging what a woman in pop culture should look like. “Lauryn had that beautiful chocolate skin, the dreadlocks, and she showed me sexy wasn’t only about showing skin, but about a presence and confidence,” Cash said.
5. So the mix is a conversation between Cash and all the women she feels blazed the trail for her.
“One of my favorites has to be the snippet of Eartha Kitt on ‘Love and Compromise,’” Cash said. “All of these women set the precedent for artists today, and of course, this doesn’t even scratch the surface. I could have continued for hours but here is my introduction.”
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates will debate Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on CBS for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire.
- Up to 150,000 penguins may have been killed by an iceberg blocking their access to the sea.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.