1. This Mother’s Day, Eminem released a video for his new single “Headlights,” in which he issues a heart-wrenching apology to his mother.
2. Spike Lee directed the video, which was shot in Detroit:
The video is mostly from his mother’s perspective. It shows her being turned away from his house by security, and watching old Eminem videos on TV. Weaving in old photos, the clip reaches a climax as Eminem and his mother finally embrace.
4. Em’s second verse is featured in the video scrawled out on a handwritten letter to his mom.
5. In the letter, he apologizes specifically about his characterization of her on 2002’s “Cleaning Out My Closet,” admitting that he didn’t mean to take it that far.
Eminem and his mother, Debbie Mathers, have always had a famously fraught relationship.
6. Here are the lyrics from his letter:
‘Cause to this day we remain estranged and I hate it though
‘Cause you ain’t even get to witness your grand-babies grow
But I’m sorry, Mama, for “Cleaning Out My Closet,” at the time I was angry
Rightfully maybe so, never meant that far to take it though,
‘cause now I know it’s not your fault, and I’m not making jokes
That song I no longer play at shows and I cringe every time it’s on the radio
And I think of Nathan being placed in a home
And all the medicine you fed us
And how I just wanted you to taste your own,
But now the medications taken over
And your mental state’s deteriorating slow
And I’m way too old to cry, the shit is painful though
But, Ma, I forgive you, so does Nathan, yo
All you did, all you said, you did your best to raise us both
Foster care, that cross you bear, few may be as heavy as yours
But I love you, Debbie Mathers, oh, what a tangled web we have,
‘cause one thing I never asked was
Where the fuck my deadbeat dad was
Fuck it, I guess he had trouble keeping up with every address
But I’d have flipped every mattress, every rock and desert cactus
Own a collection of maps and followed my kids to the edge of the atlas
Someone ever moved them from me? That you coulda bet your asses
If I had to come down the chimney dressed as Santa, kidnap them
And although one has only met their grandma once
You pulled up in our drive one night as we were leaving to get some hamburgers
Me, her and Nate, we introduced you, hugged you
And as you left I had this overwhelming sadness come over me
As we pulled off to go our separate paths,
And I saw your headlights as I looked back
And I’m mad I didn’t get the chance to thank you for being my Mom and my Dad
So, Mom, please accept this as a tribute I wrote this on the jet
I guess I had to get this off my chest,
I hope I get the chance to lay it before I’m dead
The stewardess said to fasten my seatbelt, I guess we’re crashing
So if I’m not dreaming, I hope you get this message that I’ll always love you from afar
‘Cause you’re my Ma
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.