1. Donald Glover executive produced, wrote, and starred in the short, which depicts him and his friends making music, swimming, picking lemons from a garden, and generally idling in a mansion in the Pacific Palisades.
2. Well, well, Donald…so this is what you’ve been up to all this time.
3. Two weeks ago, the actor and rapper mysteriously tweeted out a teaser trailer for something called “Clapping For The Wrong Reasons.”
director’s cut next week: http://t.co/VzdMEkrCQv/ Via
4. He provided very little information:
this was shot on film btw/ Via
It confused a lot of people, and led others to wildly try and analyze it. Why is Danielle Fishel aka Topanga in the same video as Chance the Rapper and Trinidad Jame$ and producer Flying Lotus? Porn star Abella Anderson also appears in the film, which confuses matters even further.
Like the trailer, the film itself is largely characterized by its strangely melancholy atmosphere. It’s also kind of unsettling, and at times even cringeworthy — just check the 17-minute, 6-second mark.
While Glover wrote the film (though some of the dialogue feels so natural, it feels like much of it could’ve been improv), it’s directed by Hiro Murai, who’s mostly known for his work in music videos. He most recently directed Earl Sweatshirt’s video for “Hive,” which is similarly dark and contemplative. (Fun fact: He also directed Usher’s “DJ’s Got Us Fallin’ In Love Again.”)
Glover will be getting his own half-hour comedy series on FX called Atlanta, which will center around the music scene of the city, Deadline reports. He’ll be starring, writing, and executive producing the show, thanks to his light load on next season’s Community.
The actor has been noticeably MIA this past year, basically disappearing from social media until just last month, when he returned to Twitter and dropped a (really good!) new track called “Centipede.” And then news broke last month that Glover would only be returning for five of the Community forthcoming 13 episodes, but the speculation was that it was in large part because of his increasing focus on his rap career as Childish Gambino.
But with the news of his FX show and this short film, it looks like he’ll be doing plenty of acting… but now the projects will be all his own.
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- And on the same day 10 years later, former U.S. President George W. Bush toured New Orleans on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›