1. According to the instruction guide included with Super Mario Bros., the koopas turned the inhabitants of the mushroom kingdom into blocks when they invaded, meaning Mario is contributing to the death of thousands in the game.
2. The mushrooms from the Mario Bros. games are based on a real mushroom with psychedelic effects that make it feel as though you are growing in size when consumed.
3. If you let a Chain Chomp tug on its chain 49 times in Super Mario Bros. 3, it will break free.
4. Luigi’s name comes from a pun on the Japanese word “Ruiji” which means “similar.”
5. Instead of Donkey Kong, Kamek the Magikoopa was originally going to be included in Mario Kart 64.
6. In Super Mario World, Yoshi was originally going to be a koopa, and his saddle was originally a shell.
7. Sonic the Hedgehog was inspired by its creator playing Super Mario Bros. over and over again, trying to get through the first level as quickly as possible.
8. Prior to the release of the Super Nintendo, Mario wore red overalls and a blue shirt. Since then, he’s worn a red shirt and blue overalls.
9. Before “Mario,” the character’s name was “Jumpman.” Before that, he was called “Mr. Video.” Before that, he was known as “Ossan,” which translates to “middle-aged guy.”
11. Bullet Bill and Torpedo Ted are thought to be a reference to Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure.
12. Wario’s name is actually based on the Japanese word for “bad,” which is “warui,” and is a shortened version of “Warui Mario.” The same goes for Waluigi, which is an Americanized version of “Waruigi.”
13. Nintendo actually owns the rights to Super Hornio Brothers and Super Hornio Brothers 2, which are porn parodies of the Mario Bros. games.
15. Donkey Kong was originally a Popeye game, but Nintendo lost the rights, and replaced Popeye with Mario, Olive Oyl with Princess Peach, and Bluto with Donkey Kong, who was created for the game.
16. There is an island in Super Mario Bros. 3 that is shaped like Japan, with a castle near where Kyoto would be located, which is where Nintendo is headquartered.
17. The Chain Chomp is said to be based on a neighborhood dog chained to a post that terrorized Shigeru Miyamoto as a child.
18. One study found that playing play Super Mario 64 helped with spatial orientation, memory formation, strategic planning, and fine motor skills.
Deputy Editorial Director, Iron Fist of BuzzFeed
Contact Tanner Greenring at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The Top Stories
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72-years-old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".