1. McDonald’s hamburgers don’t really rot. The burgers have very low moisture content, which basically leaves the meat dehydrated. It’s more like jerky than burger.
2. McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets come in four shapes and they all have names: the boot, the ball, the bone, and the bell.
3. A 30 oz. McDonald’s sweet tea has as much sugar in it as two Snickers bars.
4. You can’t be more than 115 miles from a McDonald’s in the continental USA.
5. At times, McDonald’s has turned away more applicants than Harvard.
6. McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish was originally developed for Catholic customers, since they generally abstain from eating meat on Fridays.
7. Burger King is called “Hungry Jack’s” in Australia.
8. Wendy’s founder Dave Thomas went back to school to earn his GED at the age of 61. He didn’t want people to see his success and feel inspired to drop out of high school.
9. An Alabama law firm once sued Taco Bell, claiming that their meat mixture “does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as ‘beef.’” (They later withdrew the lawsuit.)
10. Taco Bell has attempted to open stores in Mexico two different times. Their food was labeled as “American Food.”
11. Chipotle buys some of their avocados from singer Jason Mraz.
12. There is a secret menu item at Chipotle called a “quesarito.” It’s a burrito that’s wrapped in a cheese quesadilla instead of a tortilla.
13. After graduating from culinary school, Steve Ells dreamed of opening his own fine dining establishment. He started Chipotle to raise the funds for his restaurant.
14. After he left KFC, Colonel Sanders grew to hate the company. He once described the food as “the worst fried chicken I’ve ever seen” and said the gravy was like “wallpaper paste.”
15. Because of a successful marketing campaign 40 years ago, KFC chicken has become a popular destination for Christmas dinner in Japan. Some customers place their Christmas orders two months in advance.
16. Two companies prepare KFC’s Original Recipe chicken. One company only has half of the secret recipe, and the other company has the second half. The complete recipe only exists in one place: locked inside a vault at KFC’s headquarters.
17. Subway’s Italian B.M.T., is named after the Brooklyn Manhattan Transit.
18. After receiving complaints that their “footlong” sub was only 11 inches long, Subway released a statement that said, “”With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, ‘Subway Footlong’ is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length.”
19. Subway is the largest restaurant chain in the world. There are more Subways in the world than McDonald’s.
20. To accommodate workers at the World Trade Center construction site, Subway created a mobile restaurant that moved up the building as they finish each floor.
21. Pizza Hut made a delivery to the International Space Station in 2001. It cost around $1,000,000.
22. Before 2013, Pizza Hut was the number one purchaser of kale. They didn’t even serve it though – they used it as a decoration in their salad bars.
23. Pizza Hut sued Papa John’s once because they thought that “fresher ingredients” didn’t really make “better pizza.”
24. Pizza Hut uses 300 million pounds of cheese each year. That’s about 3% of all the cheese produced in the United States.
25. Arby’s got its name from the acronym “R.B.,” which doesn’t stand for “roast beef.” It actually stands for “Raffel brothers,” who are the founders of the restaurant.
26. The large fries at Five Guy’s are the most unhealthy fries in America. They have nearly 1,500 calories and 71 grams of fat.
27. Shaquille O’Neal owns about 10% of all Five Guys restaurants in North America.
28. Chick-Fil-A is not closed on Sundays for religious reasons. They close on Sundays because the founder didn’t like working on Sundays.
29. The first 100 people who go to a new Chick-Fil-A when it opens get a free meal every week for a year.
30. Panera Bread once sued Qdoba because they argued that burritos are sandwiches.
31. About two new Starbucks have opened every day since 1987.
32. The original Dunkin’ Donut had a handle (to make dunking easier).
33. Domino’s Pizza cancelled their “30 minutes or less” guarantee because drivers kept getting into accidents while rushing to deliver pizzas. The guarantee led to at least one fatality.
34. Mark Cuban once insulted someone by saying that they “would not even be able to manage a Dairy Queen.” Dairy Queen offered Mark Cuban a chance to manage Dairy Queen, which he accepted for one day. He didn’t do a great job.
35. Dairy Queen restaurants in Texas have a different menu from all other DQ restaurants. You can only get a Steakfinger Basket at a Texas Dairy Queen.
36. IHOP adds pancake batter to their omelettes. They claim it makes them “fluffier.”
37. Ben and Jerry’s ice cream has chunks because Ben has anosmia, which means he can’t smell, so he relies on “mouth-feel” while eating.
38. Because of the restaurant’s reputation to stay open after disasters, the “Waffle House Index” was created as an informal assessment of the damage caused by a storm.
39. Waffle House claims to sell more steak than any other restaurant.
40. According to Waffle House, if you laid all of the bacon they serve in a year end-to-end, it would wrap all the way around the equator.
41. White Castle burgers have five holes in them so that they can cook all the way through without being flipped.
42. White Castle is the first fast food restaurant. (It was founded in 1921.)
43. Colonel Sanders’ claimed that his favorite food was White Castle.
44. Denny’s used to be open year round. When they decided to start closing for Christmas, most of the stores had to hire locksmiths to install locks.
45. The founders of Outback Steakhouse never visited Australia.
Fact #9 was updated and clarified at Taco Bell’s request.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?