1. The Shanghai Tower rises high above a forest of skyscrapers
With a total of 121 stories, this self-contained city designed by Gensler is the tallest structure in China and the second tallest tower in the world.
2. Nine buildings tall
The tower is designed as nine buildings stacked one on top of the other. Between each stack are open-air gardens, that give visitors the feeling of being outside.
3. Shanghai Tower will be one of the most sustainable and advanced towers in the world
Wind turbines in the tower will generate power, while the double skin-glass facade of the structure will help with insulation.
4. Rainwater keeps it cool (and hot)
The spiral shaped design makes it able to collect rainwater that can be used throughout the heating and air conditioning systems.
5. Shanghai’s typhoon-force winds are no match for this tower
This design was tested and approved in wind tunnels.
6. Jet to the top using the world’s fastest elevators
Mitsubishi designed elevators that go up to 40 miles per hour.
7. The last beam is now in place
The tower opens in 2014.