1. Francis Schmidt, a professor at Bergen Community College in New Jersey, was suspended without pay after uploading this picture of his young daughter wearing a Game of Thrones T-shirt to Google+.
2. A security official at the school interpreted “I will take what is mine with fire and blood,” a popular quote from the TV show, as a “threat.” They said the word “fire” could be a proxy for guns.
3. According to Inside Higher Ed, Schmidt believes he was unfairly targeted after filing a grievance against the university for being denied a sabbatical. The grievance was filed just a week before the Game of Thrones incident.
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›