1. There is a place hidden deep within the Japanese mountains known as Jigokudani (Hell’s Valley) where something strange happens at the same time every year.
2. As the fall fades into the winter and temperatures begin to drop into the 10s (-10 degrees Celsius), a strange visitor comes upon the small hot springs hidden in Hell’s Valley.
4. This is Jigokudani Wild Monkey Park, where each winter swarms of wild Japanese macaques (commonly known as snow monkeys) descend upon the man-made onsen (hot spring) for a nice warm soak.
5. It’s a phenomenon that is both extremely weird and incredibly wonderful.
6. The monkeys have been bathing in this location since 1963, and, quite frankly, they look like they’re having a damn good time. I mean look at this guy…
That is one happy monkey.