2. Operating since 2010, you’ll never guess where the world’s greenest, most high-tech city is located.
6. Designed by the British firm Foster + Partners, Masdar City (meaning “the source” in Arabic) was created to inspire urban planning of the future.
8. And was made with energy friendly materials to help maximize efficiency.
9. The whole city is built on an advanced energy grid which monitors the output of every single switch and appliance.
The wind tunnel above (center) is fitted with LED lights designed to glow blue when residents are within their goal of using 50% less energy than a comparable settlement, and red when they are above their goal.
10. In order to reduce its carbon footprint, Masdar City uses a driverless “personal rapid transport” system…
15. The current residents of Masdar City are all students at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology.
The world’s first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability, created in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
16. Which means they are creating the future of sustainable energy while living in its prototype!
SO EFFIN’ META!
17. Masdar City, originally scheduled to be completed in 2016 for a price tag just under $20 billion, is now aiming to finish construction in 2025.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️