1. The heartbreaking and memorable beginning of the movie almost wasn’t.
The first storyboarded version had Ellie and Carl punching each other, and when the writers presented it, they were left with silence.
You can watch the original beginning (starts at the 3:35 mark) here, but it will still make you cry, so grab tissues.
2. Young Ellie is voiced by the daughter of the film’s director, Pete Docter — and her name is also Ellie.
3. It took three days to get to Angel Falls and Mount Roraima, the inspiration for Paradise Falls.
They took an airplane to another airplane, to a jeep, to a helicopter, back to a jeep, and then trekked out.
4. Russell was originally named Lewis, but the story team changed it to avoid confusion with the Meet the Robinsons character.
5. One alternate ending included Muntz chasing the bird in the labyrinth, getting fooled by a balloon animal, and then getting lost forever.
6. The other alternate ending had Muntz being fooled by a balloon bird in the house and then having the dogs run in and tip the house over the edge of a cliff.
7. Pixar had real ostriches on the animation campus for inspiration when designing Kevin.
8. There are 10,286 balloons attached to the house.
Pixar calculated that it would actually take more than 25 million balloons to lift the house.
9. There’s a postcard addressed to Carl and Ellie pinned to Andy’s wall in Toy Story 3.
10. There were 70 different iterations of Kevin and she was voiced by eight sounds.
Some parts were voiced by director Pete Docter.
11. Charles Muntz was designed by a mix of Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Howard Hughes, and Walt Disney.
12. The Alpha Dogs are shaped like bullets and heat-seeking missiles.
Their names are Alpha, Beta, and Gamma.
13. Dug is a mixture of a golden retriever and a lab.
He is also the only dog of Muntz not named after a Greek letter.
14. Russell was heavily influenced by story artist Peter Sohn.
15. To make Russell sound more natural, voice actor Jordan Nagai would sometimes run around before saying a line.
16. Several of the drawings from Ellie’s Adventure Book were drawn by the director’s daughter.
17. The courtroom Carl reports to is A113, an inside joke among Pixar animators that refers to a classroom at California Institute of the Arts.
It’s where many Pixar alum attended school.
19. And last but not least, a replica of Ellie and Carl’s house (inside and out) was built in Utah for an asking price of almost $400,000.
Bangerter Homes got permission by Disney to build it. You can watch more about it here.
A couple also took anniversary pictures here and it is the CUTEST THING EVER.
In conclusion: I will be watching UP tonight.
- Two people on a civilian airplane were killed in a mid-air collision with a military jet in South Carolina. The F-16 jet pilot was ejected and is "in good shape."
- Subway has suspended Jared Fogle, the weight-loss guy from their commercials, due to an FBI investigation.
- Bounce TV and BET will no longer air series featuring Bill Cosby after court records showed he admitted to buying sedatives to give to women.