1. Olivia Wilde was almost cast as Marissa Cooper.
The role went to Mischa Barton because Wilde was “too strong” for the role. She ended up playing Alex Kelly in Season 2.
2. When Adam Brody auditioned, Josh Schwartz said he hated him and wanted him to get out.
Adam had been auditioning for several pilots that day and hadn’t come prepared. After a month with no Seth Cohen, they eventually called Brody back and he got the part.
3. In early drafts of the script, Ryan Atwood was originally going to be Sandy Cohen’s illegitimate child.
Good thing this didn’t happen because I refuse to believe Sandy Cohen is anything less than perfect.
4. Chad Michael Murray was reportedly offered a part in The O.C., but turned it down for One Tree Hill.
5. The Cohen’s pool is actually only four feet deep, which means the actors had to film swimming scenes on their knees.
6. Rachel Bilson was originally only a guest star, but the role of Summer Roberts became so important that they made her a main character.
Can you imagine a show without Seth+Summer? No, the answer is no.
7. The producers almost didn’t use the iconic Phantom Planet song for the intro.
They thought it was too mainstream, but they added the song because they needed to show the network something before the pilot premiered. Everyone ended up loving it, so they used “California” for the theme song.
8. Seth was reportedly going to be a part of the popular clique, but the writers decided to make him an outcast.
We love our comic book geek just the way he is.
9. Luke was often called “Abercrombie” in a derogatory way, a joke that refers to his previous job as a model for the retailer.
10. Adam Brody is afraid of boats, and used a stunt double for the sailing scenes.
Seth Cohen would be disappointed in you, Adam.
11. Tate Donovan, who played Jimmy Cooper on the show, voiced Hercules in the film and the animated series, as well as in video game Kingdom Hearts II.
He also dated Jennifer Aniston; the two were briefly engaged.
12. Berkeley Law created a Sandy Cohen Public Defender Fellowship program in 2004.
13. After the cast and crew tried hard to keep the Season 3 death a secret, Mischa Barton revealed to Access Hollywood that her character dies, an hour before the finale.
For shame, Barton.
14. In an episode, Seth says, “How much vomit? Like the girl in The Sixth Sense or the guy in Monty Python?”
That role was played by Mischa Barton.
16. Shailene Woodley played the young Kaitlin Cooper.
And then became a teen mom. Well, on TV.
17. The Cohens were originally called “The Needlemans.”
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›