1. When you pack a suitcase, wrap your shoes in a shower cap.
This will prevent the soles from touching your clean clothes.
2. Call your credit or debit card company before traveling internationally so that you’re authorized for vacation purchases.
The last thing you want is to be reported for suspicious activity and not have access to your money.
3. Store your loose cables/chargers in an old sunglasses case to keep everything in one place.
4. Bring an empty water bottle to the airport and refill it after you pass security.
That way you can drink H2O without having to spend $4.
5. Enable private browsing when searching or booking flights online.
Travel sites often track visits and will increase your price based on search history. You can also clear your cache.
6. When packing your suitcase, roll your clothes to save space and avoid wrinkles.
This is how many flight attendants pack.
7. Put your bobby pins in a Tic Tac container to keep from losing them.
You can also do this with toothpicks if need be.
8. If you forget the wall plug-in for your phone charger, check the back of your hotel TV. There’s usually a USB port.
9. And if you forgot your charger, ask your hotel if they have one you can borrow for the duration of your stay.
People forget them all the time so they’re bound to have some lying around in lost and found.
10. Stick a dryer sheet in your suitcase with your clothes to keep them smelling fresh.
11. Use a pill container to store and sort your jewelry.
Especially good for earrings. You should probably stick some extra backs in there for good measure.
12. Buy a portable phone charger (or charging case) for when you’re not near a wall plug.
Great for planes, cars, theme parks, etc.
13. Turn a cereal container into a trash can for your car when on road trips.
You can also obviously buy a small trash can, but if you already have this handy and don’t feel like running to the store and spending money, it’s helpful.
14. Buy a shower caddy from the dollar store and use it for easy eating.
Especially good when there are not enough cup holders and you don’t want to make a mess.
15. When you’re driving in a new city and need to remember where you parked, drop a pin on Google Maps or take a picture of the parking space with your phone.
Just hold down on the location and a pin will appear.
16. To use Google Maps offline, type “ok maps” and the current area on your phone will save for later.
It’s good for important places you want to visit or need to go to when out of town so you have the info available in case you lose service.
17. Roll up your belt and stick it inside your collard shirts to keep them clean and stiff.
18. If you’re heading to a theme park or the beach, put your phone in a plastic bag to prevent it from getting wet.
A ruined phone is bad enough. A ruined phone on vacation in a different city/state/country is even worse.
19. To protect wine bottles in suitcases, wrap them in Wine Skin or pool floaties.
You can buy the Wine Skin here.
20. Turn a pot holder into a case for your flat iron so you can pack it even while it’s still warm.
You can find directions here.
22. Scan your passport, ID, and itinerary and email it to yourself so you have a digital copy in the event of loss or theft.
23. To prevent bottles from leaking in your luggage, place plastic wrap over the container and then seal it with the cap.
24. If you want to bring a small amount of concealer or lotions, put them in contact cases.
Better than bringing a whole bottle you don’t need.
25. If the back of your plane seat doesn’t have TVs, put your phone in a plastic bag and hook it to the back of the tray table (or use a barf bag).
I don’t know how well this actually works, but you might as well give it a shot. Directions for the barf bag here.
26. You can google your airline name and flight number to check the status of your flight.
For example: Google “Delta 2262” and this will pop up.
27. To keep your headphones and chargers tangle free, wrap them around old gift cards.
28. If you want to drink on your flight, you’re allowed to carry on miniature bottles.
We've got your WKND covered.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›