1. Rik Mayall (Drop Dead Fred) was originally cast as Peeves.
Rik filmed his scenes in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, but they were later cut because “no one was happy with the design,” according to the director.
2. When Alfonso Cuarón signed on to direct the third movie, he asked the trio to write a short essay on their characters.
True to their roles, Emma Watson submitted a 16-page paper, Daniel submitted a one-page essay, and Rupert never turned his in.
3. At the end of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the credits say, “No dragons were harmed in the making of this movie.”
Someone’s got a sense of humor!
4. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle (Shirley Henderson) was 37 years old during the second film.
She was the oldest actress to portray a Hogwarts student.
5. 210,000 coins were created for the Gringotts scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Bellatrix is a rich biddy.
6. Mad-Eye Moody and Bill Weasley are related in real life.
Brendan Gleeson and Domhnall Gleeson are father and son.
7. Throughout all eight films, Daniel Radcliffe went through roughly 160 pairs of glasses.
And he got to keep a pair!
8. Tilda Swinton was reportedly considered for the role of Professor Trelawney, but declined due to scheduling conflicts.
But then we were blessed with Emma Thompson, so all is well.
9. The candles used in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone were originally real candles suspended from wires, but they switched to digital after the candles fell from the ceiling.
The candles burned the wires, causing them to fall. The directors therefore switched to prevent the cast from harm.
10. Rupert Grint dressed like his female drama teacher and rapped for his audition tape.
The first line was, “Hello there, my name is Rupert Grint, I hope you like this and don’t think I stink.”
11. Harry Potter’s famous lighting bolt scar has been applied by makeup teams approximately 5,800 times.
This includes Daniel Radcliffe and all his stunt/body doubles.
12. Every wand from all eight movies was created on-site.
Including the 60–70 wands Radcliffe wore out.
13. Rupert was removed from the set during Harry and Hermione’s kissing scene because he was laughing too much.
What an adult.
14. Hedwig was played by three male owls in the movies.
Their names were Gizmo, Ook, and Sprout.
15. Emma Watson auditioned for the role of Hermione at her school gym for fun.
Casting agents went to several schools in search of actors, and Emma won the part.
16. Rupert Grint was reportedly cast to play Austin Ames in A Cinderella Story, but turned down the role to commit to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
It all worked out perfectly.
17. And last but not least, the adorable Emma Watson used to mouth Harry and Ron’s lines.
Watch for yourself!
- The South Carolina Senate voted 37-3 in the first vote to remove the Confederate battle flag from statehouse grounds. The bill is expected to pass a two-thirds majority in its third reading on Tuesday, then move to the House.
- Greece has a new finance minister after Yanis Varoufakis resigned on Monday following the country's "no" vote on austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador on Monday.