1. Waking up earlier than you ever did during the school year just so you could get outside and start playing.
2. If you could get enough neighborhood kids together, Red Rover, Red Light Green Light, or some simple Freeze Tag were the way to go.
3. If it was really hot, there was nothing more exciting than getting your parents to turn on the sprinklers.
4. Or, even better, to roll out one of these.
It didn’t even matter that they often ended up being VERY PAINFUL.
5. But the absolute best thing that could happen would be getting an invitation from the friend who has a pool.
7. See who could hold their handstand (and breath) the longest.
8. You could dive for these…
10. At some point you’d hear those dulcet tones.
11. And, fingers crossed, they’d have your favorite frozen snack in stock.
12. You’d eat these by the handful.
13. Pickup games of backyard softball were the best, complete with makeshift bases.
14. And if you were really creative, you could make most epic games of hopscotch.
15. If the day was just too scorching, you could just beat the heat at the mall.
16. The highlight of the summer was when you got to take a trip to the water park.
17. Or when it was time for the traveling carnival to come around.
18. (Where, of course, you’d stuff your face with cotton candy, corn dogs, and elephant ears.)
19. When you were ready for a fight, you were either filling these bad boys up.
20. Or arming yourself with one of these.
21. And if you were really cool, you were skating at the Starbucks parking lot, the local playground, or anywhere with railings.
22. Your day wasn’t complete without at least a few scrapes or grass stains.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.