1. Walking anywhere was out of the question.
Unless you were going to your friend’s house on the next block over.
2. A cul-de-sac was the place to be in the summer.
3. Independence was going to the mall without your parents for the first time.
4. You spent your 16th birthday in line at the DMV, waiting for your learner’s permit.
5. And then you spent three months in after-school driver’s ed with an instructor who definitely didn’t want to be there.
6. But until you saved up for a car (or were lucky enough to be given one), you were borrowing the family minivan.
10. You actually went to your school’s football games.
11. After which you took over your local diner.
12. You knew which parks you could drink at without getting caught.
13. Otherwise there was always the one kid whose parents turned a blind eye to drinking in the basement.
14. Your cool local coffee shop was a little place called Starbucks.
16. Even if you didn’t have one, you definitely knew someone with a pool.
Bonus points if it was above ground.
17. You’ve been to birthday parties at bowling alleys, roller rinks, and laser tag venues.
20. And you probably went trick-or-treating a year or so past the time that it was age-appropriate.
21. Your first job was at a movie theater, and you abused your power by sneaking your friends in.
22. July 11 was one of your favorite holidays.
23. Going into “the city” was a big deal, but acting like it was a big deal was out of the question.
“Yeah, no, I totally know how to get there.” ::inches closer to subway map::
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›