2. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences just invited 276 people to join the ranks of Academy Awards voters. The incoming pool looks a lot more diverse than the current Academy membership.
A Los Angeles Times study published in February 2012 found that the Academy was disproportionately white, male, and old. BuzzFeed compared the new members to the old members.
3. Overall membership changes
4. The Academy is divided into separate career categories responsible for nominations, e.g. screenwriters will choose the nominees in screenwriting Oscar categories.
Aside from the overall demographic shift, some changes in individual categories were striking. The incoming screenwriters’ group almost has a gender balance that reflects the gender balance of the human population. Women in the group of 13 invited writers include Tina Gordon Chism (Peeples) and Lena Dunham (Girls).
5. 2013 screenwriter invitees
6. Screenwriters already in the Academy
7. The incoming group of producers also approached gender parity.
Incoming women in the pool of nine producers include Andrea Sperling (Like Crazy) and Finola Dwyer (An Education).
8. 2013 producer invitees
9. Current producer members
10. Although there still aren’t many women directors, the incoming members are a bit more female.
That is to say, there are two women in a group of 15 incoming directors: Ava DuVernay (I Will Follow) and Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight).
11. 2013 director invitees
12. Current director members
13. The incoming actor class is also more racially diverse when compared to the current members.
Rosario Dawson (Rent), Lucy Liu (Kill Bill), and Danny Trejo (Heat) are among the 22 invited members.
14. 2013 actor invitees
15. Current actor members
In the February 2012 study, the Los Angeles Times reported that five branches of the Academy were over 90 percent male. In the branches of 2013 invitees, three are over 90 percent male: cinematography, direction, and visual effects.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›