The top 8 most-documented pregnancies (or alleged pregnancies), measured by mentions in cover lines on major tabloids.
1. Kate Middleton: 13 Covers
You weren’t imagining it: The Duchess of Cambridge was the subject of the most pregnancy hysteria this year, with 13 mentions on the covers of major tabloids. The publications were calling for “A Baby for Christmas” in November and announcing the impending arrival of twins since September.
2. Jessica Simpson: 9 Covers
As US Weekly notes, “OMG! She’s Pregnant Again,” so Simpson is likely to be a major contender for next year’s list as well.
3. Kourtney Kardashian: 9 Covers
The reality star was allegedly “Pregnant & Betrayed” repeatedly.
4. Jennifer Aniston: 8 Covers
Her number is strikingly high for someone who has never actually confirmed a pregnancy. But her supposed baby fever has long been part of the tabloids’ narrative about her. “After years of disappointment,” reads one cover line, “Jen and fiance Justin are expecting a baby girl next May.”
5. Kim Kardashian: 5 Covers
6. Giuliana Rancic: 4 Covers
Her baby was born by surrogate earlier this year. Cue the calls of “We Want More Babies.”
7. Cast of “Teen Mom”: 5 Covers
Tabloid covers often refer to them collectively, with photos of several at once and no indication of who is actually pregnant.
8. Khloe Kardashian: 3 Covers
“I’ll Raise This Baby Alone” proclaimed one cover, despite the fact that Khloe Kardashian has never confirmed a pregnancy.
Thanks to Jezebel’s Midweek Madness, the most complete archive of tabloid covers we know of, and an invaluable aid in our count.
All design by John Gara.
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.