The theme was “enlightenment.”
2. A performance by Sir Ian McKellen
3. A man in a flaming skirt
That’s Austrian dancer Ziya Azazi.
4. A midair race
6. The Queen
She looks unamused.
7. Oscar Pistorius carrying the South African flag
8. Stephen Hawking as emcee
9. Kate Middleton and Prince William
They looked lovey-dovey. She wore a coat she’s worn before.
10. A giant sculpture
That’s a giant version of Marc Quinn’s “Alison Lapper Pregnant.” Lapper is a British artist who was born without arms.
11. And lots and lots of fireworks
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️