The theme was “enlightenment.”
2. A performance by Sir Ian McKellen
3. A man in a flaming skirt
That’s Austrian dancer Ziya Azazi.
4. A midair race
5. An umbrella boat
The ceremony represented a voyage on a “sea of ideas.”
6. The Queen
She looks unamused.
7. Oscar Pistorius carrying the South African flag
8. Stephen Hawking as emcee
9. Kate Middleton and Prince William
They looked lovey-dovey. She wore a coat she’s worn before.
10. A giant sculpture
That’s a giant version of Marc Quinn’s “Alison Lapper Pregnant.” Lapper is a British artist who was born without arms.
11. And lots and lots of fireworks
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)