2. “My understanding is that the visit was to promote American-Chinese trade. Why do you wear European clothes?” - Oscar de la Renta on the McQueen dress Obama wore to the state dinner for Chinese President Hu Jintao.
3. “Clearly we were disappointed that she chose to wear a British designer for the state dinner. I was so embarrassed that I am definitely going to write to her.” - Diane von Furstenberg on the same state dinner incident.
4. “Avoiding the appearance of queenly behavior is politically wise. But it does American culture no favors if a first lady tries so hard to be average that she winds up looking common.” - Robin Givhan
6. “It’s just she just doesn’t act and look like a first lady. I mean she’s more about showing her arms off. I think that’s very inappropriate for a lot of functions that she goes to.” - Virginia voter Bobbie Lussier
15. “I’m trying to say that our First Lady does not project the image of women that you might see on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue or of a woman Alex Rodriguez might date every six months or what have you.” - Rush Limbaugh