1. First, you need to test your skin to make sure you’re not allergic to the dye. No one likes a cotton candy-colored rash.
2. Then test a small strand of hair to make sure the color is going to come out as you hope.
3. This may require a round (or three) of bleaching beforehand, especially if you have dark hair.
4. (Unless you’re naturally platinum blonde, bleaching is necessary to get color close to what’s on the box.)
Also, if you are naturally blonde, you can use a color depositing conditioner for a tinted look.
5. You can be brave and use an at-home bleach kit like this one…or play it safe and see a professional.
Make sure your hair is dry and unwashed prior to bleaching. The natural oils in your hair will help reduce damage.
6. After bleaching, make sure to wash your hair thoroughly, otherwise the residual chemicals may interfere with color application.
7. Prior to dyeing, make sure to put on some protective gloves, otherwise staining is inevitable. Safety first!
8. And apply petroleum jelly around your hairline to avoid staining your skin.
9. Prepare the dye according to the directions and apply with a tint brush. You are about to get the hair of your dreams.
10. It’s important to completely saturate your hair with the product. Get it all up in there!
11. Leave it on as long as the product requires. Any less and the results might be too light.
12. If your hair is darker or hard to dye, you can leave a cap on to insulate the hair while the color penetrates.
13. Rinsing your hair with white vinegar immediately after dyeing can help lock in color by raising the pH level. Science creates fierceness.
14. It’s also advised to wash your hair in cold water to help keep color looking fresh.
15. Beware of staining fabrics right after you dye your hair. Sleep with an old towel covering your pillowcase for a few days. Unless you want candy-colored sheets – up to you.
16. Hydrated hair will better retain the color molecules. Weekly deep-conditioning treatments are recommended.
17. Using sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner will also help lessen color-eroding damage. You’ve got to give back to the rainbow hair gods.
18. And not washing your hair for at least a week after dyeing is another great color preserver.
And an excuse for being lazy.
19. Also, before making the decision to dye, decide if you want permanent or semi-permanent color.
20. And don’t forget, it doesn’t hurt to seek the help of a professional stylist. You may be brave and smart, but they have done this before.
Try these helpful instructions on how to prep and dye hair an exotic rainbow hue.
We've got your WKND covered.
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.