Aside from those occasions she rolled around in gaudy wheelchairs, Lady Gaga has largely avoided the fashion spotlight since her injury-prompted sabbatical. And to be fair, a break from disco wigs and foot-high heels made out of broccoli is for the best.
What this means, though, is that the odd batch of paparazzi photos featuring Gaga looking less than crazy get treated as though she were wearing vegetable footwear after all. Is that a pointy carrot or a stiletto heel? Who knows?! Case in point, recent photos of Gaga:
1. Here she is at a good friend’s wedding.
Aside from the possibly controversial practice of bridesmaid cleavage, she looks just like the rest of the bridal party. Lovely, and the floral headpiece is a cute touch without being overstated in the classic Gaga “I just broke a vase on my forehead and these are the remnants” kind of way.
And, though it may seem hard to believe, there are other photos of Gaga dressed “normal” out there. Strap yourself in, because it’s a journey into a whole other DIMENSION…of sensible clothes.
2. Of course before there was Gaga there was Stefani Germanotta, a performing arts student with big dreams and shiny lip gloss.
Dressed like any other high school formal dance attendee.
3. This one time she wore Abercrombie.
Then again, who didn’t in high school?
4. And this lovely pink tank/prairie skirt combination.
You can still tell she’s quirky though: Look at all those bracelets!
5. Nobody wants to be the person calling Gaga out for wearing a Juicy Couture sweatsuit…but this could well be pink velour.
Also, do you see coquettish shades of Zooey Deschanel?
6. Her senior picture/headshot is the epitome of semi-professional mall portraiture.
To be fair, though, she’s smizing years before Tyra trademarked the idea. And the slightly windswept hair is très Rachel Greene.
7. Why a headshot? For that burgeoning acting career, of course. Here’s a Gaga cameo in The Sopranos.
Her role: anonymous, bad-girl “classmate.” While ogling some boys swimming, she smokes and laughs and swigs something that, given her character, probably isn’t just Coke from a Coke bottle. That’s about it. (Watch here.)
8. And let’s not forget the time she was on MTV’s candid camera show Boiling Points in 2005.
Watch her eat a salad and get slightly agitated — that’s acting for you. Also, marvel at that Jerseylicious tan.
9. Nowadays, Gaga keeps her not-insane attire for trips to the beach.
Which is fair enough, because if you cover a bikini in jewels and shit you’ll either sink like a stone mid-swim or just give yourself tetanus once they’ve inevitably rusted over.
10. And there’s nothing unusual about wearing a bandeau top and a sarong.
I mean, there’s not even a crazy print on that sarong. Gaga’s not even trying.
11. And black high heels notwithstanding, this sort of psuedo-modest look suggests Gaga arrived in Cancun and picked up the wrong suitcase at baggage claim.
12. Workout attire: also not outlandish.
To be fair, though, taking a spinning class with Terry Richardson ups the crazy more than precarious stilettos and a live crab in your hair.
13. Gaga also often tweets “empowering” makeup-free selfies.
Like this one. (The team of hairstylists who styled that “bed head hairdo” just so are out of frame, along with a makeup artist responsible for the subtle eyeliner and lipstick. After all, it takes a little bit of makeup to take a good no-makeup shot.)
16. And lastly, here she is channeling ’80s Bruce Springsteen meets girl interviewing for a position at the new American Apparel store in your suburban strip mall.
After all, hipsters are normal now. THEY JUST ARE.
We've got your WKND covered.
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- Elections on Sunday are widely expected to hand Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko a fifth term since 1994. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›