Everyone loves the jolly Santa who brought us awesome presents as children:
But in Europe, naughty children get PUNISHED and BEATEN.
1. Yule Lads, or Icelandic trolls, would come from the mountains to steal things and scare children.
2. Germany’s Knecht Ruprecht (Farmhand Rupert) beats naughty children with a bag of ashes!
3. Lazy young’uns in Iceland might be sacrificed to the hungry Yule Cat, Jólakötturinn.
4. And then there’s Krampus of Austria, who kidnaps children to EAT them later.
5. Krampus’s counterpart, Perchta, actually DISEMBOWELS misbehaving kids.
6. Mari Lwyd, a weird Welsh horse, goes door to door to peddle!
7. Alsace, France’s Hans Trapp threatens children with a stick.
8. Swiss Santa’s alter ego, Schmultzi, beats naughty children with a broom of twigs.
9. La Befana, Italy’s Christmas witch, also smacks devious children with a broom!
10. The Dutch Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) threatens to take bad children to Spain.
Apparently that’s a punishment.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Thirty-one people are dead after two passenger trains derailed within minutes of each other on a flooded bridge in central India.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- Record-breaking freediver, Natalia Molchanova, is feared dead. She disappeared while diving off the coast of Spain on Sunday.