Everyone loves the jolly Santa who brought us awesome presents as children:
But in Europe, naughty children get PUNISHED and BEATEN.
1. Yule Lads, or Icelandic trolls, would come from the mountains to steal things and scare children.
2. Germany’s Knecht Ruprecht (Farmhand Rupert) beats naughty children with a bag of ashes!
3. Lazy young’uns in Iceland might be sacrificed to the hungry Yule Cat, Jólakötturinn.
4. And then there’s Krampus of Austria, who kidnaps children to EAT them later.
5. Krampus’s counterpart, Perchta, actually DISEMBOWELS misbehaving kids.
6. Mari Lwyd, a weird Welsh horse, goes door to door to peddle!
7. Alsace, France’s Hans Trapp threatens children with a stick.
8. Swiss Santa’s alter ego, Schmultzi, beats naughty children with a broom of twigs.
9. La Befana, Italy’s Christmas witch, also smacks devious children with a broom!
10. The Dutch Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) threatens to take bad children to Spain.
Apparently that’s a punishment.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›