Everyone loves the jolly Santa who brought us awesome presents as children:
But in Europe, naughty children get PUNISHED and BEATEN.
1. Yule Lads, or Icelandic trolls, would come from the mountains to steal things and scare children.
2. Germany’s Knecht Ruprecht (Farmhand Rupert) beats naughty children with a bag of ashes!
3. Lazy young’uns in Iceland might be sacrificed to the hungry Yule Cat, Jólakötturinn.
4. And then there’s Krampus of Austria, who kidnaps children to EAT them later.
5. Krampus’s counterpart, Perchta, actually DISEMBOWELS misbehaving kids.
6. Mari Lwyd, a weird Welsh horse, goes door to door to peddle!
7. Alsace, France’s Hans Trapp threatens children with a stick.
8. Swiss Santa’s alter ego, Schmultzi, beats naughty children with a broom of twigs.
9. La Befana, Italy’s Christmas witch, also smacks devious children with a broom!
10. The Dutch Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) threatens to take bad children to Spain.
Apparently that’s a punishment.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed a shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. ›
- "Victor Frankenstein" joined the ranks of 2015 films that opened in more than 2,000 North American theaters, but earned less than $4 million on opening weekend. ›