2. An image in her Formspring account matches another blurred image on The Dirty.
7. In one post she said Anthony Weiner didn’t need to resign.
8. Leathers Didn’t Respond to Repeated Inquiries About Weiner.
The Dirty reported that its anonymous tipster “has lawyered up in fear of Anthony Weiner, but she is willing to expose his sexual nature to TheDirty.com for the betterment of America.”
UPDATE — July 23, 2013 8:15 p.m. ET: Weiner did not respond to questions shouted by a BuzzFeed reporter at a Tuesday evening event about whether he knew the woman.
UPDATE — July 24, 2013 12:40 a.m. ET: A source close to the situation confirmed to BuzzFeed late Tuesday that the former congressman exchanged the explicit messages and photos with Sydney Elaine Leathers in late July of last year.
“I saw the messages and the message said ‘Anthony Weiner,’” the person said. Weiner allegedly told Leathers that he would “move her to either Chicago or New York,” so that the pair could be closer. It was not immediately known how the two met or if they ever made contact in person.
The source said Leathers “felt she was the important one” in Weiner’s life, even surpassing his wife Huma Abedin, who stood by his side Tuesday as the New York City mayoral candidate once again admitted exchanging lewd messages at a news conference.
The source, who has known Leathers since high school, spoke to BuzzFeed only under the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue.
Benny Johnson, Jon Passantino, Jessica Testa, Hunter Schwarz, Adrian Carrasquillo, Jacob Fischler, and Samir Mezrahi contributed to this report.
- Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have won the New Hampshire primaries for the Democratic and Republican nominations 🇺🇸
- The Supreme Court put on hold President Obama's climate change plan, which aims to curb carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
- And thank the Force: Disney's profits hit an all-time high of $2.9 billion after the latest *Star Wars* film release ✨💰