1. Bill Clinton: Congress should temporally extend all the Bush tax cuts.
2. Senator Jon Tester: “I would much prefer dealing with the tax code, with all the expenditures, in a bigger package similar to the Simpson-Bowles [deficit reduction] proposal.”
3. Senator Joe Manchin: “I’m totally for the Bowles-Simpson [plan] and will continue to work for Bowles-Simpson. We need to revamp the system and I think Bowles-Simpson is the pragmatic way to do it.”
4. Senator Jim Webb: “We shouldn’t raise [rates] on ordinary income.”
5. Senator Ben Nelson: “My druthers is to extend the tax cuts for everybody. What I could support is extending the tax cuts for everybody earning under a million dollars a year if it has to come to that.”
6. Nancy Pelosi: Extend the tax cuts for those making under $1 million.
7. Utah Rep. Jim Matheson: “I recognize $250,000 is a lot of money for an individual to make for an individual. But we’re also talking about businesses. That’s not a lot of money for small businesses.”
Andrew Kaczynski is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Andrew Kaczynski at email@example.com
Here Are The Top Stories
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.
- An order from the U.S. Supreme Court means Texas abortion clinics affected by a new state law can stay open while the law is challenged.
- Transgender women can be housed in women's immigrant detention facilities under new guidelines issued today.