3. French culture on Instagram:
So much culture, so many museums! Everyone is a philosopher and wears suspenders.
4. French culture in real life:
You know what French people actually like? Appalling comedies that make fun of our lower-middle class and rely mostly on lowbrow, racist, sexist, and classist jokes. Camping, with this guy as the main character, is a perfect example. Somehow, it managed to get funded and to sell millions of tickets.
5. French food on Instagram:
Tasty croissants and colorful macarons everywhere!
6. French food in real life:
Butter and ham sandwiches all day every day.
7. The French Riviera on Instagram:
Blue skies and sea as far as the eye can see.
8. The French Riviera in real life:
Going for a swim? Try to avoid the plastic bags, jellyfish, and used tampons.
9. Galeries Lafayette on Instagram:
Lights, gorgeous dresses, and fancy purses!
10. Galeries Lafayette in real life:
The 10th circle of hell.
12. French street style in real life:
Pretty sure this isn’t Chanel.
14. French thinkers in real life:
Camus was great. Now all we have is Bernard-Henri Levy, a pseudo-philosopher who likes to pose among Libyan ruins in a fancy suit.
16. French apartments in real life:
Unless you are an heir to the French monarchy, you’ll most likely get an overpriced eight-floor walk-up with no bathroom.
18. Northern France in real life:
Old, picturesque coalfields.
20. Deauville in real life:
Gloomy beaches where no one ever swims because it’s too cold.