1. In January 2012, Michelle Dockery sat front row at the Armani Prive couture show in Paris, affirming her status as a fashion person.
I know her outfit must be Armani Prive couture, but it looks like any old mediocre pantsuit.
2. And she got a ticket to the Met Gala! Which reeks of fashion industry acceptance.
But she showed up wearing this oddly dowdy half-metal dress. Why? With Vogue editors to dress her and everything?
3. She enjoyed the backing of Burberry in June.
As a front-row guest at their menswear show, she got to wear one of their owl tees and be generally fawned over for for it.
4. But this dress, worn in July, is about as memorable as anything Lady Edith wears.
Which is to say, not memorable at all.
5. She used to dress a little more feminine.
She wore this quirky “Alexa Chung once removed” dress to a September event in West Hollywood.
6. She’s dabbled in statement prints.
At a September event, she showed up wearing a dress that looked like Anthropologie’s finest china.
7. At the Emmys in September, she wore a muted blue column dress…
8. With a growth on the back that even she didn’t seem to understand.
Unless she was using it for storage.
9. She went goth-femme for a “Downton” event in December in New York.
Why does this make me want to shove a tutu into her hands? Perhaps because you can see the severe direction she’s starting to take with her clothes.
10. At the BAFTA tea party in L.A., she wore a plain dress that looked like an ink spill.
It’s a nice choice, but where’s the fun? The sideboob, even?
11. This lace number was really nice on her.
Feminine and pretty, yet you can see her yearning to go dark and “edgy” coming out.
12. You get the sense that she likes to experiment.
She wore this dress, the print of which reminds me of Forever 21 bathing suits, to a SAG pre-party at the Chateau Marmont in L.A. Either she forgot her chunky diamond accessories or Lindsay Lohan stole them.
13. Even this was a fairly unique and feminine choice for the Golden Globes.
Most actresses are loathe to wear anything that isn’t solid-colored taffeta and mermaid-cut, and Michelle Dockery definitely thinks outside the box a little bit, daring to show up disguised as a Roman column.
14. And at the SAG Awards, this is where she ended up.
In a slim-fitting black dress that is for the most part fine, but not nearly as mind-blowing as her costumes on Downton. She probably wants to create a distinction between Michelle Dockery the person and Mary Crawley the character, which is why she’s leaning heavily into dark lipstick and severe black gowns with sideboob-revealing mesh insets.
15. But what I really want to do is dress her in Marion Cotillard’s clothes.
Something feminine yet simple, you know?
(This is a photo illustration of Michelle in Marion’s SAG dress.)
16. Can’t you see her in full skirts and florals?
Michelle’s head on Marion’s body again. Doesn’t it work?
17. Don’t you love her in a cheerful color?
Marion may have been the only person who looked amazing at the Golden Globes. If she ever felt like doing light charity work, she could host a sale of her used clothes for a bunch of other actresses, not just Michelle.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.