1. Robyn Lawley is the first plus-size model Ralph Lauren has ever hired to star in its ad campaign.
These are the images from the campaign. Lawley is a size 12.
3. Lawley, an Australian native, is 23 years old, and began modeling as a “straight-size” model at the age of 16.
After unhealthily trying to keep her weight down, Lawley decided to become a plus-size model.
4. Her career really started taking off in 2011. She covered French “Elle.”
The April 2011 issue.
5. And Italian “Vogue.”
The June 2011 issue, devoted to plus-sized models.
9. Her casting is significant for Ralph Lauren, which might still be well-remembered for this photoshop disaster.
These ads came out in 2009 in Japan. The label claimed they had never been approved for use.
Later that year, the model, Filippa Hamilton, told the press the label had fired her because she was too big. “[T]hey said I was overweight and I couldn’t fit in their clothes anymore,” she told the New York Daily News. Ralph Lauren simply said in a statement that while Hamilton was “beautiful and healthy,” they let her go “as a result of her inability to meet the obligations under her contract with us.”
A before-and-after comparison of the Hamilton, who started working with the brand in 2002.
11. The casting is also a coup for Lawley’s career.
Plus-size models don’t land campaigns nearly as often as their skinnier peers.
(Photo: A headshot of Lawley from last year.)
12. Crystal Renn is the most successful plus-size model in the high fashion world of late. She appeared in ads for a lot of labels, like Jean Paul Gaultier.
With Kelly Moreira in the fall 2010 campaign.
16. Lord & Taylor:
And, quite wonderfully, those are just a few in her portfolio. Renn continues to book high-paying ad work for top labels.
17. The Ralph Lauren ads will hopefully lead Lawley — and other plus-size models — to more big-money ad jobs.
But the reality is that super-skinny models remain the norm, while beauties like Lawley and Renn are the exception.
(Photo: Lawley in a 2011 test shoot.)
18. And one more very important thing to know about Lawley…
She maintains a very pretty food blog.
- Two bomb attacks in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️